Career Services is here to help you channel your skills, abilities and passions toward a fulfilling career after graduation. We offer services that help students identify their skills, explore career opportunities, and develop materials to land a future job.
You can easily schedule an appointment during office hours by going to my Calendly.
Internship Fair: Fall 2019
October 30th, 10:30 - 12:30 in the Donnelly Commons, Career Services will host an Internship Fair. Come to learn about the opportunities available with a variety of local and national organizations. A partial list of participants appears on this page. Links will take you to their websites with more information!
You don't need to be ready to apply or commit to attend! This event is to provide you with information about opportunities, requirements, application processes and deadlines, and benefits of internships. Our partners are ready to answer your questions! Come on October 30th, and learn more about how an Internship can help you find and pursue your career of choice!
Apply for Internships!
Valuable work experience. ...
The opportunity to explore a career path. ...
An edge in the job market. ...
Marketable professional skills. ...
A network of professionals in your field. ...
Some Specific Opportunities
There are also Dept. of Energy Internships available specifically for students getting their Associates degrees at Community College Internships
Applications for Summer are due in January of 2020. Come to the Internship Fair for additional help applying for Federal Internships.
Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce / World Trade Center Kansas City offers several internship opportunities every semester. Internships are unpaid, but offer a wide range of marketable experiences. General information about the Chamber, their mission, and their activities, is found here. Please click on the links below for additional information.
Civic Initiatives Internship -
Priority deadline for fall applications has passed, but the application process for spring will open up soon!
Internships with the KC Chamber are not paid, but offer valuable hands-on experience. This experience allows students to explore areas of interest and decide if this is an area for a potential career. Internships run throughout the semester and require 24 hours a week from participating students.
For more information, please contact Susan Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org or (816) 221-2424.
To apply, please complete an application here.
Internship search tools
There are many exciting options for finding internships anytime!
- The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry is sponsoring Missouri Intern Connect. It is free and will help match employers with students from local colleges and universities.Go to https://www.mointernconnect.com/students and create an account to begin your search!
- An additional initiative on the Missouri side is KC Hire. Go to https://hirekc.org/apply/ to create an account and look for interns that fit your needs and skills!
- NonProfit Connect is a network of non-profit agencies in the area. They have an online Career Center where you can search for Jobs, Internships, and Volunteer opportunities. Go to https://www.npconnect.org/career-center/ to get started!
- Finally, the online job board Zip Recruiter can be used to do an internship search in our area. Check out https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Internship/-in-Kansas-City,KS or just go to https://www.ziprecruiter.com/
Have you thought about a career in Computer Science?
According to USA Today...Matthew Wilson, Feb. 15, 2017, "Just last June, two computing organizations published an open letter announcing there were 500,000 open computer positions in every sector such as manufacturing or banking -- but only 50,000 computer science graduates a year. And according to Computer Science Zone, there will be 1 million more computing jobs than employees to fill them in the next 10 years."
Check out local internships in IT and Computer Science below! And check back here regularly, or contact Yvonne Telep for more information about internships.
Other Internship Possibilities
How can you find an internship that interests you? Check out several local internship opportunities here. There are several other opportunities posted on the bulletin board on the ground floor. See Yvonne Telep orKatie Blevins for more information!
Don't rule out doing a Year of Service!
These are often great opportunities, and they can carry stipends and educational benefits that make them really viable for a gap year between Associates and Bachelor's studies. Click the "Year of Service" tab above for more information.
Having a full-time or part-time job can give you some great professional experience while you are in school or directly after you graduate. There are several local opportunities listed below, that can also be found on the job bulletin board on the Ground Floor outside of Room 9. Need more information? See Yvonne Telep or Alex Johnson on the Ground Floor in Room 11.
Check out a list of local job opportunities here.
Glassdoor for Students: This online career community allows job seekers to look through company reviews, salaries, and interview information on over 340,000 companies submitted by actual employees. Students can also search job and internship postings. Entry into this service is free through this Donnelly website link.
In addition to reviews and information, Glassdoor is a great tool to help you search for jobs and internships.
- Career Cruising: This career development software provides you with resources to identify and pursue your goals. Donnelly students have access to Career Matchmaker assessments and can create a free online profile that allows them to explore job descriptions and career paths. To obtain a user name and password to access Career Cruising, email Career Services and request one. Then, make a follow up appointment with Yvonne to discuss the results of your assessments and your next steps!
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Kansas Occupational Outlook Data
- Resume Template (Functional) MS Word
- Resume Template (Chronological) MS Word
- Resume Template for Recent College Graduate
- Functional Resume Template for Recent College Graduate
- Resume Samples and Templates from Monster
Cover Letter Templates and Examples
- Cover Letter Sample
Resume and Cover Letter Help and Advice
- Cover letter creation and critique
- Building Your Resume Suggestions
- Information on internship and job opportunities
Remember, Career Services is here to help you!
A year of service is a great way to spend some time after your associates degree and decide on a career path while gaining real world experience! Several local opportunities provide great experience, a small living stipend, and a lump sum of up to $6500. to use for college expenses at the end of your term of service. In addition, participaiton in some of these programs can give you a leg up in some educational and job opportunitie later on. Check them out!
Mentor and tutor middle and high school students in the Kansas City area.
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas is seeking Motivated, flexible and passionate individuals who are willing to dedicate a year helping us to engage, empowerand improve our community. WYCOKCK has 9 full-time, year-long VISTA positions serving different departments at the city. These are responsible positions that offer great experience in a wide variety of areas. Click the link above for more information and applications!