Career Services is here to help you channel your skills, abilities and passions toward a fulfilling career after graduation. We offer services that help students identify their skills, explore career opportunities, and develop materials to land a future job.
Apply for Internships!
Internships help you learn important professional skills, give you confidence and experience, and provide you with a way to begin forming your professional network! And, studies show that you are much more likely to get hired after graduation if you have internship experience. Internships can give you opportunities that entry level jobs do not provide, and a variety of experiences to help you choose your specific career path. Many are unpaid, but paid internships are also available. Yvonne has many postings and new information is coming in all the time. Visit the Ground Floor and check out our Internships board for postings. Or drop in to Room 8 or Room 11 to talk with Yvonne and hear more about a variety of positions!
Internship search tools
There are many exciting options for finding internships this spring!
- The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry is sponsoring Missouri Intern Connect. It is free and will help match employers with students from local colleges and universities.Go to https://www.mointernconnect.com/students and create an account to begin your search!
- An additional initiative on the Missouri side is KC Hire. Go to https://hirekc.org/apply/ to create an account and look for interns that fit your needs and skills!
- NonProfit Connect is a network of non-profit agencies in the area. They have an online Career Center where you can search for Jobs, Internships, and Volunteer opportunities. Go to https://www.npconnect.org/career-center/ to get started!
- Finally, the online job board Zip Recruiter can be used to do an internship search in our area. Check out https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Internship/-in-Kansas-City,KS or just go to https://www.ziprecruiter.com/
Have you thought about a career in Computer Science?
According to USA Today...Matthew Wilson, Feb. 15, 2017, "Just last June, two computing organizations published an open letter announcing there were 500,000 open computer positions in every sector such as manufacturing or banking -- but only 50,000 computer science graduates a year. And according to Computer Science Zone, there will be 1 million more computing jobs than employees to fill them in the next 10 years."
Check out local internships in IT and Computer Science below! And check back here regularly, or contact Yvonne Telep for more information about internships.
FEATURED INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
Other Internship Possibilities
How can you find an internship that interests you? Check out several local internship opportunities here. There are several other opportunities posted on the bulletin board on the second floor. See Yvonne Telep or Alex Johnson for more information!
Don't rule out doing a Year of Service!
These are often great opportunities, and they can carry stipends and educational benefits that make them really viable for a gap year between Associates and Bachelor's studies. Click the "Year of Service" tab above for more information.
Having a full-time or part-time job can give you some great professional experience while you are in school or directly after you graduate. There are several local opportunities listed below, that can also be found on the job bulletin board on the second floor. Need more information? See Yvonne Telep or LaCherish Thompson on the second floor. Check out a list of local job opportunities here.
Glassdoor for Students: This online career community allows job seekers to look through company reviews, salaries, and interview information on over 340,000 companies submitted by actual employees. Students can also search job and internship postings. Entry into this service is free through this Donnelly website link.
In addition to reviews and information, Glassdoor is a great tool to help you search for jobs and internships.
- Career Cruising: This career development software provides you with resources to identify and pursue your goals. Donnelly students have access to Career Matchmaker assessments and can create a free online profile that allows them to explore job descriptions and career paths. To obtain a user name and password to access Career Cruising, email Career Services and request one. Then, make a follow up appointment with Yvonne to discuss the results of your assessments and your next steps!
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Kansas Occupational Outlook Data
- Resume Template (Functional) MS Word
- Resume Template (Chronological) MS Word
- Resume Template for Recent College Graduate
- Functional Resume Template for Recent College Graduate
- Resume Samples and Templates from Monster
Cover Letter Templates and Examples
- Cover Letter Sample
Resume and Cover Letter Help and Advice
- Cover letter creation and critique
- Building Your Resume Suggestions
- Information on internship and job opportunities
Remember, Career Services is here to help you!
A year of service is a great way to spend some time after your associates degree and decide on a career path while gaining real world experience! Several local opportunities provide great experience, a small living stipend, and a lump sum of up to $6500. to use for college expenses at the end of your term of service. In addition, participaiton in some of these programs can give you a leg up in some educational and job opportunitie later on. Check them out!
Mentor and tutor middle and high school students in the Kansas City area.
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas is seeking Motivated, flexible and passionate individuals who are willing to dedicate a year helping us to engage, empowerand improve our community. WYCOKCK has 9 full-time, year-long VISTA positions serving different departments at the city. These are responsible positions that offer great experience in a wide variety of areas. Click the link above for more information and applications!
Career Fair - Spring 2019
This year’s Career Fair was a great success! We had so many wonderful employers who took time to talk to students and discuss job and career options with them.
Many of these employers have openings NOW, and are eager to take applications from Donnelly students. Refer to the list here and if you apply to one of these places, please let Yvonne Telep in Career Services know. We are here to help you!