Lansing Correctional Program
At Donnelly, we are proud to offer an on-site associate degree program to the inmates of Lansing Correctional Facility in Lansing, Kansas.
Donnelly began offering classes at our Lansing Correctional Facility satellite campus in 2001.
- 420 number of inmates who have taken courses since 2001
- 20 number of Lansing students who have earned associate degrees
- 202 number of former students who have been released from prison
- 2 percentage of Lansing inmates/participants who have been reconvicted of a crime and are back in prison
- Nationally, 68 percent of inmates are resentenced for a new crime within 3 year's nationally (National Institute of Justice)
Why Is This Program Needed?
Earning a college degree is the single most effective tool to lower recidivism and to prevent individuals from returning to a life of crime after their release.
Providing access to education in this manner:
- Creates self-sufficiency and self-confidence for inmates as they start to realize a better path in life and gain the necessary skills to attain it
- Produces a healthier community
- Saves countless taxpayer dollars
How We Provide This Opportunity
We strive to make our program accessible to inmates by asking that they pay only 1⁄3 of the hourly tuition fee. Donnelly College raises the remaining 2⁄3 of the tuition costs in scholarships from private patrons.
For me, college was a golden opportunity — a chance to prove to myself, and to my family, that I would be able to pick myself back up after such a terrible mistake... Donnelly not only provided me with the opportunity to develop my academic potential, but also the opportunity to be a better person... Donnelly has helped me realize that I am able to achieve all things that I set my mind to.
Graduation was one of the greatest days of my life. My self-esteem has soared, and I truly believe I can accomplish any goal. Furthermore, my education has drawn me closer to my family and friends. My children look up to me now.
If it could be summed up in one word, [this program] gives us opportunity.... Having the opportunity to not lose those years — to be able to walk out and do something — the appreciation can't be said.