Students of Donnelly College

Faculty & Staff Counseling Referral

As a faculty and staff member, you are in an excellent position to recognize behavioral changes that characterize an emotionally troubled student. Faculty referrals are the most commonly noted source of referral for students. Your ability to recognize the signs of emotional distress and the courage to voice those concerns to the student is the most significant factor in successful problem resolution.

Signs of distress may include inability to concentrate, confusion, persistent worrying, social isolation, increased irritability, bizarre behavior, missed class/assignments, procrastination, dangerous behavior, restlessness, disheveled appearance, mood swings, indecisiveness, depression, and anxiety.
A brief consultation may help sort out relevant issues and explore alternatives. Early intervention is preferable to crisis intervention.

How to make a referral

  1. Talk to the student in private and listen. Express your concern for their well-being by saying something such as, “I’ve noticed that you have been ______ lately and I’m concerned.”
  2. Let them know that there is a professional counselor at Donnelly that can help them.
  3. Inform the student that the services are strictly confidential and that there is no fee for current students.
  4. If the student is unsure about talking to someone, let them know that they can go for a consultation to discuss what services the Counseling Center offers.
  5. You can either give the student the Counseling Center contact information or you can call with the student in your office and hand them the phone so that they can make an appointment.
  6. You may wish to follow up with your student to see how they are doing. However, please be aware that unless a written release of information is signed by the student, the Counseling Center cannot share information regarding counseling services provided. Privacy is essential in the therapeutic process and the right of a Counseling Center client.

If a student's situation is life threatening to them self or to others, it is critical that you call either the Counseling Center at ext. 281, the Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Services at ext. 262, the Security Office at (913) 433-3350 or 911 immediately to get help. If you encounter this behavior, take it seriously, be willing to listen, voice your concern, and get professional help immediately.

Use the Referral Form If you are a staff or faculty member and wish to document your student referral to the Counseling Center.