History of Donnelly College

1949

  • Donnelly College was founded by Bishop George Donnelly (Bishop of Kansas City, Kansas) and Sister Jerome Keeler (Benedictine Sisters of Atchison, Kansas)

  • The College made available a Catholic education in the urban core, where many immigrants settled — initially offering only associate degrees

  • Bishop Donnelly provided a building at 12th Street and Sandusky Avenue for classrooms

  • The Benedictine Sisters provided the faculty

  • 250 students enrolled the first academic year


1971

  • English as a Second Language (ESL) program established


1982

  • Donnelly College moved into the old Providence Hospital on 18th Street and Tauromee Avenue


1990s

  • Enrollment increased to almost 1,000 with the accelerated health science program (which ended in 1998)


2001

  • Donnelly is federally designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution and Minority Serving Institution


2007

  • Donnelly opens second academic building (Marian Hall) and its first residence hall


2009

  • Donnelly opens its second residence hall 


Present

  • Faculty consists mainly of laymen and laywomen

  • Donnelly now offers three bachelor's degrees: Organizational Leadership, Information Systems and Urban Elementary Education

  • The College serves more than 1,377 students with a student population of 37% Hispanic, 30% Black, 12% White, 9% Asian, 6% Other, 5% Two or more races, 1% Native American

  • View more current information about the College in Quick Facts